9 Best Cruelty Free Mascaras – Top Picks of 2017
Is your mascara brand an enemy to bunnies and mice? Mascara is one of the most important elements of any good makeup routine, but if you’re like many conscious consumers, you don’t want to use a mascara that was manufactured in a way that causes suffering to another living being. It’s not necessary for companies to test on animals, so there’s no good reason to support these cruel practices.
Finding a good cruelty free mascara that produces the same great results as popular mainstream brands can be a challenge, but there are many cruelty free brands that deliver the same quality without the cruelty.
Table of Contents
- 1 9 Best Cruelty Free Mascaras in 2017: Quick Comparison
- 2 Solution: Try the Brands That Fellow Animal Lovers Trust
- 3 Cruelty Free Mascara Reviews
- 3.1 Elizabeth Mott It’s So Big Volumizing Mascara
- 3.2 Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic Mascara
- 3.3 Lash Factory InstaLash One-Step 3D Mascara
- 3.4 Eisley Rose Cosmetics Black Mascara
- 3.5 Lagure 3D Fiber Lash Mascara Set
- 3.6 Ecco Bella FlowerColor Mascara
- 3.7 Xtava Super Volume Lengthening Mascara
- 3.8 Chic Republic Natural Organic Mascara
- 3.9 Beauty Without Cruelty Paraben-free Mascara
- 4 Conclusion: Once You Find the Perfect Mascara, Tell Your Friends
9 Best Cruelty Free Mascaras in 2017: Quick Comparison
|Product Name||Highlights||Rating||Number of Reviews|
|Elizabeth Mott's It's So BIG||Smudge Proof, Cruelty Free||3300+|
|Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic Mascara||Vegan & Gluten Free||600+|
|InstaLash One-Step 3D Mascara||Contains All Natural Green Tea Micro-fibers||100+|
|Eisley Rose Black Mascara||Contains Lecithin and Natural Beeswax||100+|
|Lagure 3D Fiber Lash Mascara Set||Hypoallergenic & Waterproof||450+|
|Ecco Bella FlowerColor Mascara||Water Resistant, Fragrance Free||400+|
|xtava Super Volume Thickening Mascara||Smudge Proof, Easily Washable||250+|
|Chic Republic Natural Organic Mascara||Lavender with Vitamin E||15+|
|Beauty Without Cruelty Mascara||Fragrance Free, 100% Vegan||70+|
=> Scroll down to read detailed review of each product.
Solution: Try the Brands That Fellow Animal Lovers Trust
You can take one of several approaches to find the best cruelty free mascara products. One is to restrict your search to brands that are fully committed to cruelty-free manufacturing and testing processes. You’ll find that many companies that specialize in organic, vegan, and holistic products have firm policies against animal testing.
Although sticking to certain brands provides reassurance that your product is ethical, it doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it will give you luxurious, full lashes. Another approach involves trusting the experience of like-minded people. Sometimes a combination of both approaches works best.
However you conduct your search, here are a few things you should look for when shopping for a cruelty-free mascara.
- Beware of tricky wording. Some companies boast about not testing their finished products on animals, but the ingredient suppliers they use actually do conduct animal testing.
- Demand quality. A cruelty-free product should not have inferior ingredients or perform poorly.
- Don’t give up or compromise if you don’t find a great option right away.
Cruelty Free Mascara Reviews
Elizabeth Mott It’s So Big Volumizing Mascara
With its focus on ethical production and creating voluminous lashes, It’s So Big delivers everything you need in a cruelty-free mascara. The formula is designed to lengthen and curl lashes, and users attest to its great performance and easy removal. It may be considered as the best cruelty free drugstore mascara available in the market.
- Beauty without Bunnies (PETA) registered
- Made by small, independent brand
- Hourglass brush shape with long and short bristle pattern
- Company offers no-risk, money back guarantee and product samples
- Clump-free, smudge-free wear
- Volumizes without a thick, heavy feeling
- Looks great even after hours of wear
- Requires multiple coats to reach full volume
- Thin wand
- Long drying time
Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic Mascara
Made with 100 percent natural and 85 percent organic ingredients, Endlessly Beautiful’s popular mascara delivers multiple benefits for concerned consumers along with a carefully developed formula that supports lash health and encourages new growth. Users love its safe, gentle formula and its ability to nourish lashes.
- No artificial colors, preservatives or fragrances
- Includes conditioning agents to promote healthy lash growth
- Never tested on animals
- Made in the USA
- Ideal for sensitive eyes
- Softens lashes
- Easy removal
- Volumizes and lengthens lashes
- Some users report clumping and flaking
- Doesn’t last all day
- Requires multiple coats for best performance
Lash Factory InstaLash One-Step 3D Mascara
Lash Factory’s 3D mascara is a natural and cruelty-free alternative to popular two-step fiber lash formulas. Fans love its extra-dark color and reliable, all-day wear.
- Non-toxic formula
- Never tested on animals
- Produces three-dimensional results
- One-step application
- Contains natural green tea microfibers to increase volume
- Fibers stay in place; less irritation than two-step fiber formulas
- No running or black streaks
- Large tube lasts for a long time
- Thick bristles and comfortable wand handle
- Can get clumpy as it ages
- May be difficult to remove without makeup remover
Eisley Rose Cosmetics Black Mascara
A must-have item for animal loving makeup wearers everywhere, this Eisley Rose mascara delivers good overall performance along with perks like nourishing ingredients, extra volume and unique two-headed brush to make application easier for lower lashes.
- Includes convenient micro brush for bottom lashes
- Thickening and lengthening formula
- Produces instant results
- Contains lecithin and natural beeswax
- Creates movie star lashes with minimal work
- Separates lashes to increase volume
- Micro-brush prevents mishaps
- Rich, deep color
- Gentle and non-irritating
- Wand breaks easily
- Difficult and messy to remove
Lagure 3D Fiber Lash Mascara Set
A reliable two-step fiber lash formula, Lagure’s 3D Fiber Lash Mascara provides volume, drama and definition. Its 100 percent cruelty-free formulation can compete with the most popular mainstream brands on the market. Users report dramatic results that resemble false eyelashes.
- Contains 100 percent natural fibers
- Non-toxic, hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive eyes
- Comes with premium case and free Ebook guide
- Attractive and convenient packaging
- Money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Long wearing
- Produces dramatic lengthening and volumizing results
- Affordably priced
- May be difficult to remove
- Fibers may get stuck on contact lenses
- Application requires practice
Ecco Bella FlowerColor Mascara
Performance meets safety in Ecco Bella’s reliable, cruelty-free, low-toxin mascara. It lifts, separates and defines eyelashes without the unwanted chemicals and unnecessary ingredients present in so many mainstream brands. FlowerColor mascara is a hit with many fans of natural products.
- Lengthens lashes
- Gentle and non-irritating
- Includes mirror
- Vegan formula is free from parabens, gluten and fragrance
- Easy application and dramatic color
- Doesn’t cause itching or watering eyes
- Includes built-in mirror
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Requires multiple layers for intense effects
- Some users report odd odor
- Longer drying time than most mascaras
- Flaking and clumping is common
Xtava Super Volume Lengthening Mascara
Xtava Super Volume Lengthening Mascara is a product that delivers the volume and length it promises with added benefits of cruelty-free production and smudge-free wear. Even application and fast drying time make it perfect for users who apply their makeup on the fly.
- Cruelty-free formula
- Specifically designed to add volume to the lash line
- Synthetic bristle applicator brush
- Sets quickly and provides hours of wear
- Non-irritating and gentle
- Suitable for contact lens wearers
- Goes on smoothly
- Lengthens and thickens effectively
- May be difficult to remove
- Somewhat thin, light consistency
Chic Republic Natural Organic Mascara
Great for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, this premium, natural mascara from Chic Republic delivers bold color and has impressive staying power. It volumizes, lengthens and nourishes lashes with nature’s finest botanical extracts.
- It contains no parabens, chemicals or artificial dyes.
- Ingredients include beeswax, chamomile, sunflower oil, rice powder, rosemary leaf extract, lavender flower, golden seal root extract and lemon peel.
- The product is covered by a money-back guarantee.
- The product is great for allergy sufferers.
- It’s 100 percent cruelty-free.
- It’s made in the USA with certified organic ingredients.
- It separates and defines lashes well without clumping.
- Some users report smudging after wearing the mascara for a few hours.
- Only 80 percent of the ingredients are organic.
Beauty Without Cruelty Paraben-free Mascara
Its vegan formula and smooth application makes this mascara from Beauty Without Cruelty popular with those who demand both ethics and performance from their beauty products. Classic and contemporary shades are available.
- It contains no parabens or animal ingredients.
- The ingredients list features vitamin B3, tocopherol and corn flower water.
- Full-volume formula plumps lashes.
- It is completely fragrance-free and is never tested on animals.
- The wand easily and smoothly separates and defines each lash.
- Multiple coats produce significant lash fullness.
- It doesn’t irritate sensitive eyes.
- The formula is not completely free of chemicals.
- Some wearers experience smudging.
- It’s not waterproof.
Conclusion: Once You Find the Perfect Mascara, Tell Your Friends
When you find the perfect cruelty-free mascara, you can help the manufacturer become more successful and further the cause by sharing the great news. Your friends will thank you for recommending a great product, and as more people switch to cruelty-free products, the demand for less-than-ethical ones will decrease.