Best Blow Dryer for Natural Hair – Reviews of Top 6 Products 2017
Air-drying your natural hair may be a great way to protect it, but it can take a huge bite out of your schedule. Blow-drying your hair isn’t just faster; it also allows you to achieve a variety of styles more easily. Heat-stretching with a blow dryer can even help you manage tangles and single-strand knots without breakage.
Unfortunately, using a blow dryer comes with a serious risk of heat damage, especially if you don’t look for one with features that help you protect your hair. Finding the best blow dryer for your natural tresses can be tricky, but it’s possible.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Blow Dryers for Natural Hair in 2017: Quick Comparison
- 2 Solution: Hair Dryers Made With Natural Hair in Mind
- 3 Blow Dryers for Natural Hair Reviews
- 4 Conclusion: Technique Is Important
Top Blow Dryers for Natural Hair in 2017: Quick Comparison
|Product Name||Watts||Material||Heat Settings||Speed Settings||Cool Shot Button||Concentrator & Diffusor||Rating||Number of Reviews|
|BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium||2000||Titanium||6||6||Yes||Yes||1600+|
|Infiniti Pro 3-in-1||1875||Ceramic||2||2||Yes||Yes||250+|
|Conair Pro YB075W||1875||Ceramic||2||4||Yes||Yes||700+|
|Conair Soft Touch 2-in-1||1875||Ceramic||3||2||Yes||Yes||1800+|
|Andis Professional 82005||1875||Ceramic||4||4||Yes||Yes||500+|
=> Scroll down to read detailed review of each product.
Solution: Hair Dryers Made With Natural Hair in Mind
You may think that a hair dryer has a simple job, but blowing hot air is more complex than it seems. Today’s hair dryers have a number of features that can actually help protect natural hair by reducing heat or applying it in ways that are less stressful.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while you’re searching for a new blow dryer.
- A high-wattage blow dryer has a stronger fan motor, which reduces the amount of heat and time needed to dry your hair.
- Look for a dryer with ceramic and ionic technology. Ceramic dryers distribute heat more evenly to avoid hot spots, which reduces the risk of heat damage. Ionic dryers use negative ions to disperse water droplets and dry hair faster, and they also reduce frizziness.
- Ionic dryers that also use tourmaline technology boost the production of negative ions, which enhances the performance of ionic dryers.
- Blow dryers with heat settings and cool shot options give you more precise control over heat levels.
Blow Dryers for Natural Hair Reviews
To make your shopping easier, we’ve done some of the legwork for you. Here are our top six picks for the best blow dryer for natural hair.
Revlon RV544 Perfect Heat Fast Dry Speed Hair Dryer
Revlon’s powerful and popular RV544 dryer has everything you need to dry natural hair without damaging it. It includes ceramic, tourmaline and ionic technology and two heat settings. Users with natural hair love its lightweight design and its separate heat and speed switches, which provide superior control and versatility.
- Two heat settings for drying flexibility
- Triple-baked ceramic for even heat distribution
- Cold shot button to lock in style
- Includes concentrator and diffuser attachments
- Affordably priced
- Relatively quiet operation
- Sleek look
- Increases hair volume
- Several users have reported problems with overheating, defective cords, sparking, smoking and burns.
- Diffuser isn’t long enough
- No comb attachment is included
- May not work well for fine hair
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Dryer
Offering speed, power and tons of versatility, the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Dryer gives you salon-quality results and all the perks of cutting-edge design. Users with natural hair love its six heat and speed settings and the super-fast drying power of a 2000-watt appliance.
- Lightweight ergonomic design
- Includes concentrator nozzle and cool shot button to lock in style
- Removable filter for easy cleaning
- Ionic technology
- Extra-long cord
- Quiet, light and easy to hold
- Smooths hair and tames frizz
- Attractive, sleek design
- Consistent results
- Concentrator nozzle falls off easily
- May overheat or shut off during use
- High heat setting is too hot and can damage hair
- Somewhat expensive
Infiniti Pro by Conair Hair Designer 3-in-1 Styling System
Conair’s Infiniti Pro gives users with natural hair both heat damage control and superior styling options. The unique three-in-one attachment dries, shines and straightens hair all at the same time. Extras include a cool shot button, no-slip grip and a concentrator attachment.
- Powerful 1875-watt dryer
- Features tourmaline ceramic technology to minimize heat damage
- Three-in-one styling attachment
- Four-position tension control adjusts to hair thickness
- Dual heat and speed settings for optimum control
- Ionic technology reduces frizz
- Reduces drying and styling time
- Sturdy comb plates
- Straightens hair with little effort
- Doesn’t dry out hair
- A little more expensive than some other models
- Low maximum heat setting
- Awkward to handle
- Styling attachment falls of easily
Conair Pro Yellow Bird Hair Dryer
The unmistakable Conair Yellow Bird dryer offers professional-quality performance and versatility along with intuitive design and functionality. Users with natural hair love the fast drying speed, multiple speed and heat settings and lightweight design. For the number of features it offers, the Yellow Bird is affordably priced.
- Powerful 1875-watt appliance
- Convenient, professional eight-foot cord
- Includes concentrator nozzle and straightening pic attachments
- Dual protection thermal system prevents shutdown during use
- Four heat settings and two speed settings
- Smooths and straightens quickly and safely
- Consistent performance regardless of hair type
- Powerful air flow
- Comb attachment stays in place
- Lint collection may lead to overheating
- Hot setting can burn delicate hair or skin on scalp
- Heating element may burn out too quickly
- Newer model lacks the removable lint cap provided with previous Yellow Bird models
Conair 1875 Watt Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer
Conair’s popular Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer uses ionic technology to reduce frizz by up to 75 percent. It’s an affordable option that provides salon quality results and plenty of safe, gentle drying power for users with natural hair.
- High-torque DC motor for faster drying
- Three heat settings and two speed settings
- Cool shot button
- Hinged filter makes cleaning easy
- Includes diffuser and concentrator attachments
- No-slip grip makes handling easy
- Includes a hang ring
- Fast, quiet and powerful performance
- Doesn’t overheat easily
- Concentrator nozzle may come off easily
- Finish wears away after frequent handling
- Not a good choice for people who straighten their hair every day
- Doesn’t deter frizz as well as other ionic models
Andis Professional 1875 Watt Ceramic Ionic Hair Dryer
Popular for its sleek, black chrome design and its professional-level performance, this Andis model features ceramic and ionic technology for even heat distribution, fast drying and shiny, healthy hair. Users with natural hair love its four heat and blower settings, its attachments and its convenient cool shot button.
- Long-life AC motor and 1875-watt performance
- Ten-foot power cord
- Ceramic and ionic technology
- Includes resin pick, resin concentrator and metal concentrator
- Super-fast drying time
- Leaves hair soft and silky
- Imparts lustrous shine
- Controls frizz well
- More expensive than other models
- Nozzle attachments may fall off
- Attachments get extremely hot during use
- It’s easy to accidentally change settings
Conclusion: Technique Is Important
Once you’ve found a great blow dryer, you’re ready to discover new ways to make your natural hair look fantastic. Start by following a few smart blow-drying guidelines. Before you turn on the dryer, apply a heat protectant. Separate your hair into sections, and dry them one at a time. Start at the roots, and dry to the tips, and use the cool setting on your dryer to tame frizz.